The site was originally built as part of the Kingsway Tramway Subway connecting the lines in the north and south. The London County Council had for many years wanted to connect its North Side and South Side tramway networks in order to be able to send “North Side” trams for overhaul to the Central Repair Depot at Charlton in South East London. In 1902, it decided to build a subway from Theobalds Road in the north to the Embankment underneath Waterloo Bridge to the south.
In 1937, the rebuilding of Waterloo Bridge required the diversion of the side entrance to the tramway to a new position centrally underneath the bridge, which opened on 21 November of that year. Trams were abandoned from 1957, and from this point until 2007, the ‘space’ was deserted. It was at this time when the London arm of the Buddha Bar franchise stared construction and opened in autumn 2008. Barely two years later it had closed, due to the economic downturn.
Web Design Agency - Webheads